There is a fair range of router manufacturers. Two very popular router manufacturers are Netgear, and D-Link. If you ever wondered how these manufacturers find themselves over this immense network, we would be glad to tell you that this is possible by using an Internet Protocol (IP) address. This address code is 192.168.0.1, and is commonly used by the Netgear and D-Link routers.
If you want to understand what the IP address 192.168.0.1 is, then it is important that you start with the very basic information. If you already know about the mentioned routers, you can skip this part, but if not, we suggest you to continue reading.
Linksys is a division of Cisco, and it has two competitors since the very beginning. Yes, you got it right! D-Link, and Netgear are the competitors. Both of the respective routers have not been granted an access to the same IP address, primarily. But however, being the most reputed and accepted manufacturers, they can use the same default IP address, if needed.
If compared to other local networks, the authority takers can confront the manufacturers for using the default IP address at the same time.
We would start with an example. Suppose, you want to send an important e-mail to someone, and it is urgent. But, you do not have a virtual return address to establish a connection. Would it be possible to do your work without any inconvenience? No, you do not want that to happen!
The Internet Protocol builds up that connection for you. It lets you get an access to the internet. It is the IP address that allows the networking devices to communicate with each other.
Let us now talk about the main functions of IP address in detail.
What are the Main Functions of an Internet Protocol?
There are two main functions of an internet protocol. One is of network interface identification, and the other one is of location addressing.
In simple and the most basic words, you can say that an IP address allocates any specific address to a device on a network.
For example, if you post a letter to your friend, the postman would search for the provided address of your friend, so that the letter would be delivered to the desired person. You can relate this example with the IP address' working.
There can be a number of network portions on a network, and to break these them apart, an IP address is used. The network admins connect different networks together by breaking apart the original network. This process is done through the subnet system.
For example, there are 2 classes for an IPv4 address. Namely, Class X, and Class Y. The IP address ranges of both classes are:
Class X- 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
Class Y- 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255
The subnet mask of the above address range is:
Class X- 255.0.0.0
Class Y- 255.255.0.0
If you are wondering about where and how these classes are used, we would answer your query.
Class X is what you are more likely to see in a large companies' network. Whereas, Class Y is used by the common routers, and in the home networks.
IANA is abbreviated as the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority. IANA defined 192.168.0.1 as a private network. Such private addresses are used locally, and sometimes, by the home routers for specified tasks.
Although, in case of a network device attempting to use a private network as its identifier, the respective networked device would not be able to get a connection to the internet.
Moreover, a private IP address would not let an outside located network device to form a connection with it. This happens because of the Network Address Translation (NAT) which serves as a security layer for the local networking.
For the local router configuration, Netgear, and D-Link use the respective IP address as their default IP address. There is also said to be a reserved range of default IP addresses to be used by the routers. This range includes 192.168.2.1, and 192.168.1.1. This ranging is also done by the IANA.
The sole purpose of this default IP address in the system of Netgear, and D-Link is to allow an end-user or a network administrator to connect to the network router in order to perform the configuration of the internet connection, security connections, and etcetera.
If you are willing to change or set the wireless security mode, the SSID, or the network security keys, but do not know how to, then you are on the right place. We will tell you everything! But, before we proceed any further, let us tell you that on some versions of the Netgear router, the default IP address has been switched. Thus, you face any inconvenience or error while using the 192.168.0.1 IP address, then you should replace the address with 192.168.1.1, as it can be used as an alternative to that.
To access the Netgear router setup, follow the easy and quick steps mentioned below.
1. Turn on or power up the Netgear router.
2. Use an Ethernet cable to connect the router to the computer. Otherwise, the process will not be supported. A hard-wired connection is required.
3. Open the web browser of you device.
4. Enter 192.168.0.1 in the browser address bar.
5. Press Enter to proceed.
6. The username and password which you must have setup for the Netgear router, type it. But, if you have not changed the default login details, then you are supposed to use admin as the login username, and password as the password.
7. Click on Ok.
8. Now, a configuration page will appear on the screen of your computer. It is for the Netgear router. Now, select the option of Wireless Settings from the left-hand sided menu. This way, you have viewed or modified the wireless encryption type, passphrase, and the SSID for your network.
9. Click on Apply, and you did it!
You can watch this video for a better demonstration.
Similarly, to access the D-Link router, all what you need to do is follow the easy steps mentioned below.
1. Turn on the D-Link router.
2. Just as you would do it for a Netgear router, connect the router to the computer by using an Ethernet cable.
3. If you have an old-fashioned device, then you might need to restart your device after the connection, so that the windows would be able to recognize the connection.
4. On your computer, open the web browser.
5. On the address bar of the web browser, type 192.168.0.1.
6. Press the Enter key.
7. For the username, type admin. Whereas, for the password, leave the space empty in case of not configuring different login details for the D-Link router.
8. Once you are successfully logged in, the option saying Run the Wizard. You can also choose the Wireless option from the left-hand side of the menu, if you want to manually configure the security settings, and the router configurations.
9. In the subsequently displayed menu, enter the SSID, connection channel, and the key. You're good to go!
For a better demonstration, you can watch this video.
You can also use the IP address 192.168.0.1 to assure a better and secure home network. Often, people skip the major dialog boxes in a hurry to navigate to their desired servers. In this way, they leave the system unsecured. Easy ways are note always safe!
1. Anyway, you can follow the steps mentioned below, if you want to build a secure and safer network connection than ever!
1. Change the login details of your D-Link or Netgear router, because you never know if your neighbors have a know how to get an access to one's router's default login details. Nothing assures the security of a router unless the login details are very strong.
2. Change the SSID to something not very common. Try not to let it be related it to your family, friends, or house no. Make it difficult! Netgear, and D-Link routers also offer unique options for this purpose.
3. Enable the wireless security. If you are looking forward to set a difficult password for the hacker to crack, then try adding symbols and numbers to it.
4. To ensure that the network and clients are protected, enable the firewall on the Netgear or the D-Link router. This way, you would have a better protection to your system.
If you liked this article, and found it helpful, share it with your friends and family. Also, your feedback means a lot to us! We are always willing to help you in fixing the problems. We care about you!